Getting Ready

Professional Tax Preparation Software

Things you need to do to be ready for tax season

As part of my services for CPA and services for tax preparers in general, it is my duty to let you know that if you use software or use no software for tax preparation, you have to get a PTIN number if you get paid for your work.

As you are aware starting 2010 tax season all income tax preparers must have IRS assigned PTIN number. If you do not have one, you can REGISTERwith the IRS and your PTIN number will arrive within 28 days or you can register by printing and filling out Form W-12 and then mail it to the IRS.

If you already have PTIN number, you will need to RENEW your application.

If you fail to sign-up for or refresh your PTIN, penalties may apply. Tax return preparers who use their SSN, EIN, EFIN, or ETIN, instead of a valid PTIN, on tax returns or claims for refund filed after December 31, 2010 may be subject to penaltyunder IRC Section 6695(c).

To e-file tax returns all preparers must have an EFIN number. If you do not have one, you can REGISTER with the IRS. Please don’t wait until the last second. It will take IRS about 30-45 days to process and assign a number and for you to receive it.

You can also fill out Form 8633 and mail it in. If you have any questions, please contact me at (646) 637-3269 or email me with any question on the subject.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.